Spam (or any canned meat for that matter) is a favorite staple by the kids at home. The way it is usually prepared … cut into slices then simply fried. While this is good, it could always be better, right? This recipe is one way of preparing Spam to make it more interesting. 🙂
Breaded Spam Sticks
- cutting board
- 3 bowls
- frying pan
- 1 can Spam
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup panko (coarse breading)
- cooking oil
- Open a can of Spam (whatever variant) and place its content on a cutting board.
- Cut the Spam lengthwise then several times across in equal distances. This should make 16 sticks.
- In one bowl put the flour, in the 2nd bowl put the beaten egg, and the panko in the 3rd.
- Take one Spam stick and roll it in the flour.
- Transfer it into the beaten egg and roll until it is fully covered.
- Transfer to the panko and roll until it is fully covered.
- Place the Spam stick covered in flour, egg, and panko on the cutting board to sit for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure for the rest of the sticks.
- Take your frying pan and put enough oil to deep fry. Place the stove on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot lower the heat and then place the sticks one by one in the oil, spaced. If they don't all fit, then what is left will be the next batch and the next.
- Turn the stick when one side turns brown (but not burnt!)
- When all sides are browned remove the stick from the oil and place it on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Cook the rest of the sticks.